Media Information and Policies
Pre-registration for media is now closed. Credentialed journalists – those employed by accredited news organizations and attending the conference for the purpose of editorial coverage – are invited to register for this conference free of charge. Note that the conference reserves the right to request additional information to verify credentials.
Media are invited to all official conference program activities. On-site check-in and registration for media will begin at 2:00 p.m. (ET) on Monday, March 18, 2019. The Press Center is located in the Greenbriar room on the LL3 level of the Hyatt Regency Atlanta Hotel.
The Press Center will be open Monday from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
To register as a media participant for the conference, proof of accreditation is required. This accreditation may take the form of a photocopy of official press credentials or a letter from your editor verifying assignment to the conference on the stationery of the media organization for which you work.
A maximum of two representatives from a media organization (not per publication, in the case of organizations that publish multiple newsletters), whether they are employed by the organization or freelancing, will be approved for media registration.
Freelance journalists wishing to cover the conference must submit copies of three bylined HIV articles in addition to an official letter of assignment.
Newsletter writers and editors must submit three issues of their newsletter, at least one of which must include a bylined HIV article.
Reporters from online publications that meet the below criteria are eligible to register:
- The website must provide original, editorial news coverage.
- Editorial content must be independent of advertising and sponsorship (if the website is sponsored, the site must have multiple sponsors, and all sponsors must be clearly identified as such on the website).
- Personal websites do not qualify for media registration.
- Online media are not considered separate from their parent media companies for purposes of media registration.
- Media identification. Registered media are required to wear their media badges at all times while on site at the conference.
- Embargo policy. Studies are embargoed until the date and start time of the scientific presentation or poster session, with the following exception: unless otherwise indicated, studies highlighted in press conferences are embargoed until the date and start time of the press conference, or the date and start time of presentation – whichever is earlier.
- Press conferences. Please look for future updates on the content, timing and location of official conference press briefings. Media unable to attend the briefings in person will be able to participate by phone. The conference will not be able to accommodate requests for space for third-party press conferences at the conference venue.
- Interview requests. 2019 National HIV Prevention Conference media center personnel will make every effort to assist you in arranging interviews with presenters or other spokespersons. Please do not hesitate to ask media center staff for assistance.
- Video and Photography. Videotaping is restricted to registered, accredited, broadcast news media and will not be permitted without express advance authorization from conference media personnel. If approved, members of the press may videotape during press briefings in designated interview rooms and in conference common areas, provided that video crews are accompanied by a conference media team staff member. Filming will be limited, based on availability of a staff escort. Non-flash photography and audio recording of the scientific sessions is permissible for personal and non-commercial use only, provided it is not disruptive to the session proceedings. Any requests for videotaping of conference proceedings beyond this policy must be submitted to conference organizers in writing by January 18, 2019, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Press releases. Limited space will be available in the press room for organizations that sponsor special sessions or present data at the 2019 National HIV Prevention Conference to display press releases and media materials related to their official conference activities.
- References to the conference. When referring to the conference in your coverage, please use the full name of the conference – 2019 National HIV Prevention Conference.
Reporters are responsible for making their own hotel arrangements.
Hyatt Regency Atlanta Hotel
Atlanta Marriott Marquis
When making a reservation by phone, be sure to identify yourself as a participant in the 2019 National HIV Prevention Conference.