The Influenza Division (ID) improves global control and prevention of seasonal and novel influenza and improves influenza pandemic preparedness and response. In collaboration with domestic and global partners, the ID:
- Builds surveillance and response capacity.
- Monitors and assesses influenza viruses and illness.
- Improves vaccines and other interventions.
- Applies research to provide science-based enhancement of prevention and control policies and programs.
- Provides vision, leadership and direction for the Influenza Division.
- Fosters external partnerships and cross-cutting activities that support quality science and strong global partnerships.
- Provides leadership and guidance in policy formulation.
- Provides support for national and international capacity building programs.
- Provides technical expertise and leadership for national and international pandemic preparedness activities.
- Provides technical expertise for communications, information technology, genomic sequencing, and reagent resources.
- Conducts comprehensive antigenic, phenotypic, genotypic, structural and evolutionary characterization of human and animal influenza viruses.
- Performs genetic and antigenic pandemic risk assessment of novel influenza viruses.
- Develops and evaluates novel and seasonal influenza candidate vaccine viruses.
- Provides expert guidance on influenza vaccine virus selection.
- Develops methods to detect and characterize influenza viruses.
- Trains and supports laboratories that perform influenza testing.
- Conducts surveillance and research activities to better understand the epidemiology of influenza.
- Improves understanding of the effectiveness of influenza antiviral and vaccine programs.
- Increases knowledge and improves understanding of immunity and immune correlates of protection.
- Develops and improves vaccines.
- Determines virus and host factors that impact virulence and transmission of influenza viruses.
- Conducts immunologic and virologic pandemic risk assessment of novel influenza viruses.
- Trains and supports laboratories that perform immunologic testing.
For more information on influenza please visit the Seasonal Flu web site.
Highlights Influenza Division staff who have been recognized by awards.
- Page last reviewed: October 29, 2015
- Page last updated: February 15, 2018
- Content source: