Office of Advanced Molecular Detection
Focus: To bring advanced technologies, including next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics, into the US public health system in order to more effectively prevent and respond to important public health threats.
Some key activities:
- Improve pathogen identification and characterization of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and other pathogens using next-generation sequencing and other advanced molecular technologies.
- Catalyze the adoption of next-generation sequencing at CDC and in state and local health departments.
- Build staff capacity in genomic sequencing, bioinformatics, and molecular epidemiology at CDC and state public health laboratories.
- Establish enhanced, sustainable, and integrated laboratory information systems.
- Develop tools for prediction, modeling, and early recognition of emerging infections.
Page last reviewed: August 9, 2016