Scientific Resources (DSR)
Focus: To provide support to CDC laboratories in responding to public health needs through the supply of state-of-the art technology and high-quality services and products.
Some key activities:
- Provide genomic sequencing, proteomics technologies, oligonucleotide and peptide synthesis, and bioinformatic support to aid the identification and characterization of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and other pathogens.
- Provide CDC laboratorians with high-quality laboratory products and services in compliance with US Food and Drug Administration regulations.
- Distribute investigational and licensed drugs and unique biologicals (antitoxins) to approved physicians for treatment of rare, tropical, or exceptional diseases.
- Provide accessioning services for specimens sent to CDC for reference and diagnostic testing and manage shipment of outgoing specimens, microbiologic organisms, and biologicals.
- Provide for the expert care, husbandry, and procurement of animals used in research and training.