Investigation Update on the Disney Wonder
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Disney Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Disney Wonder
Voyage Dates: April 27 – May 1, 2016
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 131 of 2680 (4.89%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 991 (1.41%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting and diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Disney Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collected stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing at CDC,
- Made multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Prepared the infection control turnaround sanitation barrier for the disembarkation Sunday, May 1, 2016 in Miami, FL and submitting to the VSP for review,
- Sent additional medical, hotel, and sanitation personnel to oversee and assist with implementation of the sanitation and outbreak response procedures.
A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer boarded the ship upon arrival in the port of Miami on May 1, 2016 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens were sent to CDC for testing.