Investigation Update on the Grandeur of the Seas
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Grandeur of the Seas
Voyage Dates: January 24 – February 3, 2015
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 198 of 1948 (10.16%) .
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 9 of 786 (1.15%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak at disembarkation, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Making announcements to notify onboard passengers and crew of the outbreak, encourage case reporting, and encourage good hand hygiene,
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing by CDC,
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Sending corporate management public health, hotel, housekeeping team to assist the onboard management with infection control response plan,
- Is consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Baltimore, Maryland on February 3, 2015, including:
- providing additional cleaning crew to complete a thorough public and accommodation super-sanitization cleaning and disinfection,
- planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and
- planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.
Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers and two epidemiologists will board the ship in Falmouth, Jamaica on January 30, 2015 to conduct an epidemiologic investigation, environmental health assessment, and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens are being collected and will be tested by CDC to determine the causative agent for this outbreak.
- Page last reviewed: January 30, 2015 (archived document)
- Content source: