Investigation Update on the Norwegian Gem
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Gem
Voyage Dates: November 16-25, 2013
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 111 of 2600 (4.27%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 1064 (0.28%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collected stool specimens from ill passengers and crew for testing at CDC’s National Calicivirus Laboratory,
- Made announcements to both notify onboard passengers and crew of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
- Made reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP twice daily,
- Consulted with CDC on plans for:
- Passenger notification procedures and turnaround plans scheduled to take place in New York City, New York on November 25, 2013, and
- Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures.
CDC Vessel Sanitation Program officers are monitoring the outbreak and providing support to both the ship and the cruise line; monitoring and support will continue into the subsequent voyage as is VSP’s standard practice. Specimens were sent to the CDC lab for testing.