Investigation Update on the Vision of the Seas
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Vision of the Seas
Voyage Dates: February 25 to March 8, 2013
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 118 of 1991 (5.93%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 765 (0.39%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Made announcements to both notify onboard passengers of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
- Collected 5 stool specimens from ill passengers and crew for submission to the CDC lab,
- Made twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Consulted with CDC on plans for:
- Passenger notification procedures and the planned delayed embarkation schedule in Fort Lauderdale on 8 March,
- Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures.
Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers will board the ship on arrival in Fort Lauderdale on March 8, 2013 to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Stool specimens will be sent to the CDC lab for testing.