Investigation Update on the Celebrity Infinity
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Celebrity Infinity
Voyage Dates: March 17 to April 1, 2013
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 101 of 2086 (4.84%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 17 of 927 (2.05%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Made announcements to both notify onboard passengers of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
- Collected 10 stool specimens from ill passengers and crew for submission to the CDC lab,
- Made twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Consulted with CDC on plans for:
- Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures,
- Passenger notification procedures and the planned delayed embarkation schedule in Fort Lauderdale on 1 April.
Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers and an epidemiologist boarded the ship on arrival in Fort Lauderdale on April 1, 2013 to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Stool specimens were sent to the CDC lab for testing.
- Page last reviewed: April 4, 2013 (archived document)
- Content source: