Investigation Update on the Crystal Symphony
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Crystal Cruises
Cruise Ship: Crystal Symphony
Voyage Dates: 11/02 – 11/21
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 37 of 814 (4.55%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 569 (2.46%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Crystal Cruises and the crew aboard the ship have taken the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Have contract public health consultants onboard the ship to assist with the infection control measures employed,
- Preparing a plan for the infection control for the port of San Pedro, CA where the ship will disembark passengers,
- Collecting stool specimens for submission to the CDC lab
- Making daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP
The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is evaluating the outbreak and the documentation provided by the ship.