Investigation Update on the Zuiderdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Zuiderdam
Voyage Dates: 04/20 - 05/08
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 73 of 1,846 (3.95%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 5 of 793 (0.63%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship have taken the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan
- Made announcements to both notify passengers and encourage case reporting
- Collected 6 stool specimens for submission to the CDC lab
- Making daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP and now Health Canada
As this cruise is terminating in Canada, CDC has been in communication with them on data submitted and Health Canada will evaluate the ship when it arrives in Vancouver.
- Page last reviewed: May 6, 2010 (archived document)
- Content source: