Investigation Update on the Queen Victoria
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Cunard Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Queen Victoria
Voyage Dates: 01/04 – 01/12
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 179 of 1,874 (9.55%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 8 of 983 (0.81%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cunard Cruise Line and the crew onboard the ship and the Vessel Sanitation Program are taking the following actions:
- 2 of 5 onboard clinical specimens tested for Norovirus were positive, and samples are being collected for CDC lab analysis
- the ship began this first leg of a world cruise in Southampton, England on 4 January and will disembark some 800 passengers in NYC (all sea days – no other ports)
- the ship is attempting to arrive some 18 hours early to the NYC port, weather permitting (1 pm on 11 January)
- VSP will board the ship to evaluate the conditions onboard, but it has not been determined at what port and date (Queen Victoria leaves NYC on 12 January and arrives 15 January in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale).
- the ship is actively following their outbreak prevention and response procedures to gain control of the outbreak and at least one of the companies public health staff is joining the ship in New York to help with the organization and implementation of the disinfection to be done at the port between cruise segments
- additional cleaners have also been arranged to board the ship on 11 and 12 January
- VSP has requested and is receiving GI reports twice daily from the ship and is awaiting other documentation for review