Investigation Update on the Queen Mary 2
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Cunard Line
Cruise Ship: Queen Mary 2
Voyage Dates: 12/19 – 01/03/2011
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 185 of 2,483 (7.45%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 29 of 1,234 (2.35%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cunard Line and the crew aboard the ship have taken the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Made announcements to both notify passengers and encourage case reporting
- Provide full service at all buffet and self-service food outlets
- Preparing a ship disinfection plan for the New York arrival and will submit to VSP for review
- Collecting stool specimens from ill passengers and crew for submission to the CDC lab
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP
VSP inspector boarded in St. Kitts and evaluated the response activities until the ship arrived in Tortola. Stool samples were sent to the CDC laboratory for analysis.