Investigation Update on the Norwegian Spirit
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Spirit
Voyage Dates: 10/23 – 11/08
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 73 of 1991 (3.66%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 9 of 965 (0.93%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew onboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection according to their outbreak prevention and response plans
- Made announcements to notify passengers and encourage case reporting
- Sent a corporate public health official to the ship to assist with outbreak management and response
- Made the required initial notification report to CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and continue to make daily updates
- Are collecting clinical specimens from passenger and crew cases to be submitted to CDC laboratories for analysis
CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program will have two officers meeting the ship in New Orleans to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment of the outbreak and response activities.