Investigation Update on the Celebrity Mercury
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Celebrity Mercury
Voyage Dates: 2/28-3/15
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 113 of 1862 (6.1%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 6 of 834 (0.72%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak response plan,
- is sending twice daily updates to CDC,
- notified passengers onboard the ship,
- sent a public health specialist to the ship for additional support,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
Celebrity Cruises will continue to make reports to CDC through the remainder of the voyage.On March 15th, VSP staff will board the ship to do a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations. CDC will continue to provide support to the ship until the number of ill people returns to expected levels.