Investigation Update on the Maasdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Maasdam
Voyage Dates: 1/2-1/9
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 79 of 1402 (5.6%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 8 of 561 (1.4%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- notified passengers onboard the ship,
- staffed the ship with a senior medical specialist for additional support,
- notified oncoming passengers,
- delayed embarkation for the next voyage,
- staffed the ship with an additional cleaning crew in Fort Lauderdale.
On January 9th, VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct an environmental health assessment. Holland America Line continued to make reports to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels (voyage dates: 1/9/09-1/23/09).