Investigation Update on the Oosterdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Oosterdam
Voyage Dates: 2/21-2/28
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 110 of 1840 (5.98%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 10 of 786 (1.27%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- notified passengers onboard the ship,
- staffed the ship with a senior medical specialist for additional support,
- notified oncoming passengers,
- staffed the ship with an additional cleaning crew in San Diego,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
On February 28th, VSP staff boarded the ship San Diego to conduct an onboard environmental health assessment. Holland America Line will continue to report the number of ill people to CDC until the number of ill people returns to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: