Investigation Update on the Coral Princess
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Coral Princess
Voyage Dates: 2/3-2/13
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers at the end of the voyage: 252 of 1996 (12.6%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew at the end of the voyage: 19 of 885 (2.1%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures;
- is sending daily updates to CDC and will do so until the number of ill people returns to expected levels;
- notified onboard passengers of the illness;
- notified oncoming passengers of the illness;
- provided shore side staff to assist with cleaning and disinfection between the time of disembarkation and embarkation of the next voyage;
- lengthen the time between disembarkation and embarkation in order to allow more time for cleaning and disinfection;
- staffed the ship with senior public health manager to assist with analysis and prevention;
- contracted with a company to clean and disinfect port terminal and transportation services;
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
On February 11th, VSP staff boarded the ship Ocho Rios, Jamaica to conduct an onboard environmental health assessment. During the current voyage (sailing dates: 2/13-2/23) the number of ill people is higher than expected. Princess Cruises will continue to send daily updates and VSP will continue to provide support to the ship until the number of ill people returns to expected levels.