Investigation Update on the ms Amsterdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: ms Amsterdam
Voyage Dates: 12/02–12/23
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 56 of 1317 (4.25%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 8 of 610 (1.31%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew onboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection according to their outbreak prevention and response plans
- Made announcements to notify passengers and encourage case reporting
- Made the required initial notification report to CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and continue to make daily updates
- Collected clinical specimens from passenger and crew cases to be submitted to CDC laboratories for analysis
For the voyage following the outbreak, the case counts returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: January 14, 2010 (archived document)
- Content source: