Investigation Update on the Norwegian Jewel
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Jewel
Voyage Dates: 9/28-10 /8
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 144 of 2132 (6.75%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 9 of 1071 (0.84%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent a senior public health official aboard the ship for additional support, and
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On October 8th, a team of VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and make recommendations. During the following voyage, the number of ill people was still higher than expected; VSP staff boarded the ship on October 18th for additional investigation. NCL continued to send updates to CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program until the number of ill people returned to expected levels (sailing dates: 11/09-11/14).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: