Investigation Update on the Zuiderdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Zuiderdam
Voyage Dates: 10/23-11/9
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 262 of 1820 (14.4%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 17 of 794 (2.14%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures and sent additional staff to board the ship to support these measures;
- sent public health staff to ship to assist outbreak management and control;
- delayed the time of embarkation in order to conduct additional cleaning and disinfection;
- collected stool specimens for analysis;
- continued to send daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On November 9th, VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations.
During the following voyage the number of ill people returned to expected levels (sailing dates: 11/9-11/19).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: