Investigation Update on the Zaandam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Zaandam
Voyage Dates: 3/19 -4/3
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 100 of 1428 (7.00%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 13 of 611 (2.13%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures;
- sent senior environmental health specialists for additional support;
- collected stool specimens for analysis;
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On April 3rd, VSP staff boarded the ship in San Diego to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations.
VSP staff continued to monitor the ship until the number of ill people returned to expected levels (sailing dates: 4/3-4/08).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: