Investigation Update on the Veendam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Veendam
Voyage Dates: 6/13-6/20
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 112 of 1313 (8.53%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 12 of 556 (2.16%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- staffed the ship with additional people to support the cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- notified oncoming passengers about the illness,
- delayed disembarkation to further clean and sanitize the vessel,
- informed other cruise lines about the illness
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
During the following voyage (sailing dates: 6/20-6/27), the number of ill people exceeded an expected level but returned to an expected level by the following voyage (sailing dates: 6/27-7/4).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: