Investigation Update on the Norwegian Star
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Star
Voyage Dates: 1/19-1/27
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 228 of 2427 (9.39%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 32 of 1103 (2.9%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- staffed the ship with additional environmental health support staff,
- collected stool specimens for analysis, and
- delayed embarkation for the following voyage in order to conduct further cleaning and disinfection,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On January 24th, VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations. During the following voyage (sailing dates: 1/27-2/4) the number ill people that reported ill decreased. VSP staff continued to monitor the ship until the number of people who reported that they are ill returned to expected levels (sailing dates: 2/4-2/12).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: