Investigation Update on the Noordam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Noordam
Voyage Dates: 1/5-1/16
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 103 of 1980 (5.2%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 12 of 816 (1.47%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures;
- sent senior environmental health specialists for additional support;
- collected stool specimens for analysis;
- informed travel agents of the illness;
- delayed the time of embarkation;
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On January 16th, VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations. During the following voyage (sailing dates: 1/16-1/26), the number of people that reported being ill returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: