Investigation Update on the Ryndam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Ryndam
Voyage Dates: 2/15-2/25
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 113 of 1226 (9.22%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 8 of 556 (1.44%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- staffed the ship with additional people to support the cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- notified oncoming passengers about the illness,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on February 23rd and sailed on it throughout the remainder of the voyage to San Diego, CA on February 25th. While aboard the ship VSP staff conducted an environmental health investigation and made recommendations. During the following voyage (sailing dates: 2/25-3/6), the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: