Investigation Update on the Norwegian Star
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Star
Voyage Dates: 5/19-5/26
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 177 of 2331 (7.59%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 7 of 1100 (0.65%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- suspended guest self-service buffets,
- stressed proper handwashing to both passengers and crew,
- notified oncoming passengers of illness,
- collected stool specimens for analysis, and
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
During the subsequent voyage (5/26-6/2) the number of people that reported being ill had lowered and after two more voyages (6/2-6/9), the ship returned to expected levels of illness.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: