Investigation Update on the Carnival Spirit
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Carnival Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Carnival Spirit
Voyage Dates: 6/13-6/20
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 116 of 2205 (5.26%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 8 of 931 (0.86%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: Carnival Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- made accommodation arrangements for ill passengers that were disembarking, so that they wouldn't spread illness while traveling;
- submitted stools specimens for analysis,
- notified oncoming passengers about the illness,
- provided daily updates about the illness to VSP until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
By the next U.S. voyage (6/29-7/4) the number of reported cases returned to expected levels of illness.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: