Investigation Update on the Liberty of the Seas
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Liberty of the Seas
Voyage Dates: 5/26-6/2
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 200 of 3846 (5.2%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 12 of 1425 (0.84%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- submitted stools specimens for analysis,
- sent senior environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified oncoming passengers about the illness,
- delayed the subsequent voyage's embarkation to implement additional cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- staffed the subsequent voyage with addition crew to clean and disinfect the ship during the voyage,
- provided daily updates about the illness to VSP and will continue to do so until the number of ill people returns to expected levels.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line has cooperated with all of CDC guidance and requests for information. On June 2nd, VSP staff boarded the ship in Miami to conduct an environmental health investigation and make recommendations. By the following voyage (sailing dates: 6/2-6/9), the number of ill passengers and crew decreased; the ship has made oncoming passengers aware of the illness.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: