Investigation Update on the Volendam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Volendam
Voyage Dates: 1/22/-2/1
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 105 of 1385 (7.58%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 7 of 608 (1.15%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC and continued to do so until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale on February 1st to conduct an environmental health investigation and make recommendations. The number of ill people lowered by the next voyage (sailing dates: 2/1-2/16) and returned to expected levels after two voyages (sailing dates: 2/16-3/3).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: