Investigation Update on the Westerdam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Westerdam
Voyage Dates: 2/4-2/11
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers at the end of the voyage: 146 of 1790 (8.16%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew at the end of the voyage: 9 of 809 (1.11%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland American Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale on February 11th to conduct an environmental health investigation and make recommendations.
By the following voyage, the number of passengers and crew who reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: