Investigation Update on the Island Princess
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Island Princess
Voyage Dates: 1/26-2/10
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers at the end of the voyage: 179 of 1936 (9.25%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew at the end of the voyage: 37 of 916 (4.04%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Los Angeles on February 10th to conduct an environmental health investigation and make recommendations.
The number of passengers and crew that reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses lowered on the subsequent voyage and returned to expected levels after two subsequent voyages (2/25-3/12).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: