Investigation Update on the Ryndam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Ryndam
Voyage Dates: 2/21-3/3
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 184 of 1260 (14.6%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 26 of 579 (4.49%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- staffed the ship with additional people to support the cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
On March 1st, VSP staff boarded the ship in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and sailed on it until the passengers disembarked in San Diego on March 3rd. They conducted a targeted environmental health investigation and made recommendations.
On March 11, the ship's medical staff reported passengers and crew continued to report high levels of gastrointestinal illnesses.
From March 13th-15th, the ship was taken out of service for additional cleaning and disinfection. VSP staff were aboard the ship to provide additional support. During the subsequent voyages, the number of ill people lowered and returned to expected levels by the voyage with sailing dates 4/12-4/22.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: