Investigation Update on the Ryndam
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Ryndam
Voyage Dates: 1/22-2/21
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 110 of 1153 (9.54%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 14 of 573 (2.44%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
During following voyage (sailing dates: 2/21-3/3/07), medical staff reported that an elevated number of ill people reported gastrointestinal illness symptoms to the ship's infirmary.
On March 1st, VSP staff boarded the ship in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and make recommendations.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: