Investigation Update on the Norwegian Pearl
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Pearl
Voyage Dates: 11/30-12/9
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 335 of 2377 (14.09%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 24 of 1097 (2.19%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- suspended guest self-service buffets,
- stressed proper handwashing to both passengers and crew,
- notified oncoming passengers of illness,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels, and
- delayed the embarkation in Miami to conduct additional cleaning and disinfection.
On December 9th, VSP staff boarded the ship in Miami to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and made recommendations. The numbers returned to expected levels on the voyage with sailing dates of 12/14-12/23.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: