Investigation Update on the Norwegian Pearl
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Pearl
Voyage Dates: 4/13-4/22
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 92 of 2490 (3.69%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 7 of 1084 (0.65%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- suspended guest self-service buffets,
- stressed proper handwashing to both passengers and crew,
- notified oncoming passengers of illness, and
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental investigation and make recommendations. By the following voyage (4/22-5/6), the number of ill people lowered and after two subsequent voyages (5/6-5/11) the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009 (archived document)
- Content source: