September Is National Food Safety Month
Celebrate National Food Safety Month with these resources for food safety programs!
Join us in celebrating 20 years of food safety research!
Congratulations on 20 years! CDC’s Environmental Health Specialists Network (EHS-Net), established in 2000, brings together state and local environmental health programs, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). EHS-Net researches food safety policies and practices and investigates foodborne illness outbreaks in restaurants. EHS-Net has conducted 15 collaborative research studies; state and local EHS-Net programs also conduct their own individual research projects.
- Explore tools from EHS-Net partners
“NEARS [data] has been a valuable asset to…
target prevention efforts
in the field.”
– NEARS User
Is your jurisdiction using NEARS to target prevention efforts?
Our National Environmental Assessment Reporting System (NEARS) found that norovirus outbreaks in restaurants were smaller and shorter when restaurants had preventive practices such as cleaning policies, food safety training, and certified food safety managers on staff. These findings suggest that restaurants can take steps to reduce the impact of outbreaks.
Explore our resources on environmental assessments, an important part of outbreak investigations.
Learn about tools to help environmental health staff conduct environmental assessments and how environmental assessment data improve public health outcomes in our columnexternal icon in the September issue of the Journal of Environmental Health.
- You can also take our Environmental Assessment Training Series (EATS) 101 training to learn concepts, key skills, and steps for environmental assessments of restaurants implicated in an outbreak and practice these skills in simulated environments.
- Learn more about how food safety programs can use environmental assessments to respond to outbreaks of foodborne illness and make recommendations to prevent them in the future.
Check out more of our food safety tools, training, and research for environmental health professionals.
Explore CDC graphics, videos, and social media messages to get tips from Food Safety Chef about keeping food safe when cooking at home.
- 2021 FDA Retail Food Protection Seminar (hosted by the Association of Food and Drug Officials, September 13 through 16)external icon
- Cleaning and Disinfection Webinars and Other Resourcesexternal icon (National Restaurant Association)
- Emerging Trends Webinar Series and Other National Food Safety Education Month Resourcesexternal icon (National Environmental Health Association, NEHA)
- Factors Associated with Local Health Departments’ Initial and Continual Enrollment in the FDA Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards: A Qualitative Study pdf icon[PDF – 1.8 MB]external icon (National Association of County and City Health Officials, NACCHO)
- More FDA Resources:
- FDA Food Code Adoption Toolkitexternal icon (Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative)
- Guidelines for Foodborne Disease Outbreak Responseexternal icon and other products (Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response)
- NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model Grant Programexternal icon (program portal opens for registration on September 1 and will accept applications from September 9 through November 15 at 7:59 p.m. EST)
- Mentorship programexternal icon supporting the grant program (NACCHO)
- Webinars and other Food Safety and Defense Resourcesexternal icon (NACCHO)