EHS-Net Partners - Cerro Gordo County
The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health was an EHS-Net practice partner working on a water practice project in FY 2010-2015.
Arsenic in Groundwater
The Cerro Gordo County Department of Health and partner organizations worked to minimize the risk for arsenic exposure from wells. As part of this work, they
- Determined groundwater arsenic concentrations,
- Identified possible sources of arsenic, and
- Established best practices for well construction to minimize the risk of arsenic exposure.
The partners sampled and analyzed selected private wells twice a year during the wet and dry seasons for 3 years. They are also collected and analyzed rock samples from new wells gaining insight to the groundwater concentrations of arsenic. The results affected local policy changes that included new drilling and sampling methods for all wells.
- Page last reviewed: December 15, 2017
- Page last updated: December 15, 2017
- Content source: