Traceable Opioid Material* Kits to Improve Laboratory Detection of Synthetic Opioids in the U.S.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is leading the development of Traceable Opioid Material* Kits (TOM Kits*) to support detection of emerging opioids. CDC maintains the contents of the TOM Kits* based on new needs identified, in part, through DEA Emerging Threat Reports. The DEA 2018 mid-year data indicate that fentanyl and fentanyl-related compounds account for approximately 75% of their opioid identifications.
These kits are reference materials and do not eliminate the need to meet analytical method requirements of other federal agencies. TOM Kits* are NOT for Diagnostic Use.
Two TOM Kits* Are Now Available
Opioid Certified Reference Material (CRM) Kit
- Manufactured and distributed by Cerilliant Corporationexternal icon
- Manufactured and distributed by Cerilliant Corporation
- Includes 1 milligram each of 22 opioids and their matched, stable isotopes (carbon-13; nitrogen-15)
- Addresses 99.5% of DEA fentanyl/fentanyl-related cases in the DEA 2018 Q1 Report
- Improves confirmation of mass spectrometry methods analysis
- Includes unprecedented isotopically-labeled internal standards
Fentanyl Analog Screening (FAS) Kit
- Manufactured and distributed by Cayman Chemicalexternal icon
- Includes 200 micrograms each of 120+ fentanyl analog analytical reference materials
- Provides largest collection of available fentanyl analog reference materials
- Improves immunoassay and mass spectrometry screening methods
- Includes structural variability for fentanyl analog
Laboratories requesting one or both of the kits:
- Can be from any sector — academic, public, or private.
- Must be located in the United States.
- Must have current DEA registrationexternal icon.
- Must comply with respective state and local regulations.
- Must submit requests directly to the respective vendor.
The kits are available at no charge. Although laboratories may request multiple kits, supplies are limited and requests will be filled based on product availability.
* TRACEABLE OPIOID MATERIAL, TOM KITS, and the TOM KITS Logo are marks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services