CDC-RFA-DP-23-0012: State Physical Activity and Nutrition Program (SPAN 2023)
CDC announces the availability of fiscal year 2023 funds to implement CDC-RFA-DP-23-0012: The State Physical Activity and Nutrition Program (SPAN 2023). This program works at the state level to implement evidence-based nutrition and physical activity strategies that address health disparities related to poor nutrition, physical inactivity, and/or obesity. The program will also collaboratively leverage state investments, partnerships, and resources from various sectors (e.g., agriculture, transportation, education, healthcare, parks/recreation, business, housing, and defense/military. This Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) focuses on strategies to:
- Promote food service and nutrition guidelines.
- Coordinate the expansion of existing fruit and vegetable voucher incentive and produce prescription programs.
- Design communities to increase access to physical activity.
- Implement policies and activities that achieve continuity of care for breastfeeding families.
- Integrate national obesity prevention standards into statewide Early Care and Education (ECE) systems and advance Farm to ECE programs.
The program will support health for all Americans, especially those most impacted by chronic diseases as well as optimal early life growth and development. No more than one applicant who resides in the state will receive funding. Funding is for a 5-year project period, pending the continued availability of funding.
Applications are due no later than March 28, 2023. For more details and information about applying, see the NOFO on www.grants.gov: (URL TBD)
- Opening Date: January 27, 2023
- Call for Potential Applicants: February 15, 2023; 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Last Day to Submit Questions: March 17, 2023
- Applications Due: March 28, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- Project Period Starts: September 30, 2023
On February 15, 2023, CDC hosted an informational call for potential applicants to CDC-RFA-DP-23-0012: The State Physical Activity and Nutrition (SPAN 2023) Program.
See the presentation. [PDF-984KB] New
For each component, follow the links below for background information, potential activities, resources, examples of what others are doing, and definitions.
Answers to questions about applying for funding under CDC-RFA-DP-23-0012: The State Physical Activity and Nutrition (SPAN) Program: NOFO FAQs. The FAQs will be updated frequently throughout the application process. Questions from potential applicants should be sent to SPAN2312@cdc.gov.
Applicants must go to the synopsis page of this announcement and click the “Subscribe” button to receive notifications of any changes to CDC-RFA-DP-23-0012. If not already registered, applicants will be prompted to create a grants.gov account.