CDC-RFA-DP-23-0013: The High Obesity Program (HOP 2023)
Thirty states have counties where adult obesity prevalence is over 40%. Access this spreadsheet [XLS-74KB] and click on your state for county data. Please note:
- Counties that are not in the spreadsheet have adult obesity prevalence at 40% or less.
- States that are not included have no county where adult obesity prevalence is over 40%.
CDC announces the availability of fiscal year 2023 funds to implement CDC-RFA-DP-23-0013: The High Obesity Program (HOP 2023). Poor diet and low levels of physical activity affect overall health and are significant risk factors for obesity and chronic disease. Obesity in the United States affects 100.1 million (41.9%) adults and 14.7 million (19.7%) children and accounts for approximately $147 billion in annual health care costs.
This program works at the state level to implement evidence-based nutrition and physical activity strategies that address health disparities related to poor nutrition, physical inactivity, and/or obesity. The program will work in counties with an adult obesity prevalence of over 40% and collaboratively leverage state investments, partnerships, and resources from various sectors (e.g., agriculture, transportation, education, healthcare, parks/recreation, business, housing, and defense/military). This five-year program will fund land grant universities to engage and leverage community extension services to implement evidence-based strategies for:
- Food and nutrition security
- Safe and accessible physical activity
- Family healthy weight programs
- Early care and education (ECE) settings
This Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) will carry out activities to address obesity levels to achieve optimal health for all Americans. Not more than one land grant university from an eligible state will receive funding. Funding is for a 5-year project period, pending the continued availability of funding.
Applications are due no later than MARCH 21, 2023. For more details and information about applying, see the NOFO on www.grants.gov.
- Opening Date: January 18, 2023
- Call for Potential Applicants: February 16, 2023; 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Last Day to Submit Questions: March 10, 2023
- Applications Due: March 21, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- Project Period Starts: September 30, 2023
On February 16, 2023, CDC hosted an informational call for potential applicants to CDC-RFA-DP-23-0013: The High Obesity Program (HOP 2023).
See the presentation. [PDF-1.01MB] New
For each component, follow the links below for background information, potential activities, resources, examples of what others are doing, and definitions.
- Food service and nutrition guidelines
- Fruit and vegetable vouchers and produce prescriptions
- Increasing physical activity through community design
- Continuity of care in breastfeeding support
- Obesity prevention standards in early care and education (ECE) programs
- Support for family healthy weight programs
Answers to questions about applying for funding under CDC-RFA-DP-23-0013: The High Obesity Program (HOP): NOFO FAQs. The FAQs will be updated frequently throughout the application process. Questions from potential applicants should be sent to HOP2313@cdc.gov.
Applicants must go to the synopsis page of this announcement and click the “Subscribe” button to receive notifications of any changes to CDC-RFA-DP-23-0013. If not already registered, applicants will be prompted to create a grants.gov account.