Health Equity Resources
Tools to Help Remove Barriers to Health
The following resources provide information and strategies to help communities, programs, and initiatives work to remove barriers to health and achieve health equity.
Tools for Putting Social Determinants of Health into Action are CDC resources to help practitioners take action to address social determinants of health.
Practitioner’s Guide for Advancing Health Equity helps communities address disparities by making improvements where people live, learn, work and play. It describes skills and strategies to address tobacco use, healthy food and beverages, and active living.
- Data, Trends, and Maps has state and national indicators for obesity/weight status, breastfeeding, fruits and vegetables, physical activity, sugary drinks, and television viewing. For health equity data, choose race/ethnicity or other demographic in the “view by” field.
- Chronic Disease Indicators provides data for 18 categories. For heath equity data, choose race/ethnicity and gender in the “view by” field.
- Aerobic and Muscle-Strengthening Physical Activity by Race/Ethnicity Across Income Levels reports trends among US adults, 1998–2018.
- Minority Population Profiles includes demographic, education, economic, insurance coverage, and health status information.
- Diagnosed Diabetes provides data by age, gender, race/ethnicity, and education.
- Places: Local Data for Better Health includes chronic disease measures by location.
- Healthy People 2020 Overview of Health Disparities shows changes in disparities during the Healthy People 2020 tracking period. An interactive chart and table can be filtered by topic area and population characteristics, including sex, race and ethnicity, educational attainment, family income, disability status, and geographic location.
Health Equity Resource Toolkit for State Practitioners Addressing Obesity Disparities [PDF-3.77MB] is for state health departments and their partners. The material is designed to increase their capacity to work with communities to help prevent obesity. The primary focus is on how to create systems and environmental changes that will reduce obesity disparities and achieve health equity. The accompanying website is a guide for using the toolkit.
CDC COVID-19 Response Health Equity Strategy focuses on immediate actions that can be used to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and track the intended outcomes.
Healthy Neighborhood Investments: A Policy Scan and Strategy Map identifies several policy actions for advancing health and racial equity through cross-sector investments.
Designing Community Health Efforts with Health Equity in Mind includes suggestions for community efforts to reduce health disparities.
Vital Conditions for Well-Being and Justice offers information on the historical context, current condition, and pivotal moves for:
- Basic Needs for Health and Safety
- Lifelong Learning
- Thriving Natural Word
- Humane Housing
- Meaningful Work and Wealth
- Reliable Transportation
- Belonging and Civic Muscle
National Youth Sports Strategy [PDF-5.67MB] outlines steps to ensure young people have the opportunity and access to play sports. Playing sports is less common among girls and among young people with a disability, from racial and ethnic minorities, and from households with low socioeconomic status.
Social Vulnerability Index identifies communities that may need support before, during, or after disasters. Social vulnerability may indicate health disparities.
Community Resilience Estimates refer to the capacity of individuals and households to absorb, endure, and recover from the health, social, and economic effects of a disaster such as a hurricane or pandemic. Low resilience may indicate health disparities.
CDC’s Health Equity Guiding Principles for Inclusive Communication are intended to help public health professionals ensure their communication products and strategies adapt to the specific cultural, linguistic, environmental, and historical situation of each population or audience of focus.
CPSTF Findings for Health Equity lists intervention approaches reviewed by the Community Preventive Services Task Force (CPSTF) with summaries of the finding for each. Includes links to a summary of evidence and supporting materials.