- Highlights & Acknowledgements
- Geographic Distribution of Registry Participants
- Registry Characteristics 2014
- Weight Status
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance Coverage by Age
- Viral and Vaccination Status
- Use of Healthcare Services and Absenteeism
- Chronic Diseases, Conditions, or Surgical Procedures
- Technical Notes
- Participating HTCs
Body mass index (BMI) was calculated for all of the Registry participants and a corresponding weight status was assigned based on age and BMI1. Among the Registry participants with a valid weight and height reported (n= 3084, 97.5%), 2.4% were underweight, 45.6% were normal weight, 23.6% were overweight, and 26% were obese. Among the Registry participants who were under 20 years of age and had a valid weight and height reported (n= 1592), 3.3% were underweight, 61.1% were normal weight, 15.6% were overweight, and 18.7% were obese. Among the Registry participants who were 20 years of age or above and who had a valid weight and height reported (n=1492), 1.4% were underweight, 29.6% were normal weight, 31.9% were overweight, and 33.5% were obese (Table 3).
Among people with hemophilia, obesity has been shown to decrease the range of joint motion and to increase clotting factor concentrate usage2. The rate of obesity among participants under 20 years of age was higher compared to counterparts in a national health study. Nearly 19% of the Registry participants under 20 years of age were obese compared to 16.9% of the participants under 20 years of age examined in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2009-2010). The Registry participants 20 years old and above had lower obesity rates than those in the national health study (33.5% versus 35.7%).
Table 3: Weight status of the Registry participants under 20 years of age and 20 years of age and over, 2014
|Weight status category||Total N (%)||Under 20* N (%)||20 and above** N (%)|
|Underweight||75 (2.4)||54 (3.3)||21 (1.4)|
|Normal||1443 (45.6)||985 (61.1)||458 (29.6)|
|Overweight||745 (23.6)||251 (15.6)||494 (31.9)|
|Obese||821 (26.0)||302 (18.7)||519 (33.5)|
* BMI-for-age percentiles of age groups 2 to <20 years old were calculated and categorized using the CDC-recommended SAS® software program for the 2000 CDC Growth Charts. Weight-for-height percentiles of age <2 years old were calculated and categorized using the CDC-recommended SAS program for the WHO growth charts.
** BMIs for individuals in this age group were calculated and categorized using CDC-recommended SAS® software program.
- https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html; https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html
- Wong TE, Majumdar S, Adams E, Bergman S, Damiano ML, Deutsche J, Recht M; Healthy Weight Working Group. Overweight and obesity in hemophilia: a systematic review of the literature. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Dec;41(6 Suppl 4):S369-75.