Sickle Cell Data Collection Program Report: Data to Action References
- Hassell KL. Population estimates of sickle cell disease in the U.S. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Apr; 38(4 Suppl): S512-21.
- Paulukonis ST, Eckman JR, Snyder AB, et al. Defining sickle cell disease mortality using a population-based surveillance system, 2004-2008. Public Health Rep. 2016; 131(2): 367-375.
- Steiner C, Miller J. Sickle cell disease patients in U.S. hospitals, 2004. HCUP Statistical Brief, no 21. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. December 2006.
- Hing E, Decker SL, Jamoom E. Acceptance of new patients with public and private insurance by office-based physicians: United States, 2013. NCHS data brief, no 195. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2015.
- Brawley OW, Cornelius LJ, Edwards LR, et al. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference statement: hydroxyurea treatment for sickle cell disease. Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148(12): 932-938.
- Haywood C Jr, Williams-Reade J, Rushton C, et al. Improving clinician attitudes of respect and trust for persons with sickle cell disease. Hosp Pediatr. 2015 Jul; 5(7): 377-84.
- Haywood C Jr, Tanabe P, Naik R, et al. The impact of race and disease on sickle cell patient wait times in the emergency department. Am J Emerg Med. 2013 Apr; 31(4): 651-6.
- Grosse SD, Odame I, Atrash HK, et al. Sickle cell disease in Africa, a neglected cause of early childhood mortality. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Dec; 41(6): S398–S405.
- World Health Organization. World Health Organization; Geneva, Switzerland: 17–19 May 2006. Report of a joint WHO–March of Dimes meeting: management of birth defects and haemoglobin disorders.
- Kauf TL, Coates TD, Huazhi L, et al. The cost of health care for children and adults with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2009; 84(6): 323-7.
- Hassell K, Pace B, Wang W, et al.; American Society of Pediatric Hematology Oncology. Sickle cell disease summit: from clinical and research disparity to action. Am J Hematol. 2009 Jan; 84(1): 39-45.
- Brawley OW, Cornelius LJ, Edwards LR, et al. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference statement: hydroxyurea treatment for sickle cell disease. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Jun 17; 148(12): 932-8.
- Claster S, Termuhlen A, Schrager S, et al. Pitfalls of Using Administrative Data Sets to Describe Clinical Care in Sickle Cell Disease. 7th Annual Sickle Cell Disease Research and Educational Symposium and 36th Annual National Sickle Cell Disease Scientific Meeting; April 14-17, 2013, 2013; Miami, FL.
- Blinder MA, Vekeman F, Sasane M, et al. Age-related treatment patterns in sickle cell disease patients and the associated sickle cell complications and healthcare costs. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013; 60(5): 828-835.
- Hemker BG, Brousseau DC, Yan K, et al. When children with sickle-cell disease become adults: lack of outpatient care leads to increased use of the emergency department. American journal of hematology. 2011; 86(10): 863-5.
- Huttle A, Maestre GE, Lantigua R, et al. Sickle cell in sickle cell disease in Latin America and the United States. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015 Jul; 62(7): 1131-6.
Page last reviewed: September 7, 2018