Mumps Outbreak Articles
- Albertson JP, Clegg WJ, Reid HD, et al. Mumps Outbreak at a University and Recommendation for a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Illinois, 2015–2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:731–734. DOI
- Donahue M, Schneider A, Ukegbu U, Shah M, Riley J, Weigel A, James L, Wittich K, Quinlisk P, Cardemil C. Complications of Mumps During a University Outbreak Among Students Who Had Received 2 Doses of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Iowa, July 2015–May 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66(14):390-391.
- Albertson JP, Clegg WJ, Reid HD, Arbise BS, Pryde J, Vaid A, Thompson-Brown R, Echols F. Mumps Outbreak at a University and Recommendation for a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Illinois, 2015-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(29):731-4.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak on a university campus—California, 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61(48):986-9.
- Cardemil, CV, Dahl, RM, James, L, Wannemuehler, K, Gary, HE, Shah, M, Marin, M, Riley, J, Feikin, DR, Patel, M, Quinlisk, P. Effectiveness of a Third Dose of MMR Vaccine for Mumps Outbreak Control. New England Journal of Medicine. 2017:377:947-956.
For more information about the 2009-2010 outbreak, please refer to the following articles:
- Kutty PK, Lawler J, Rausch-Phung E, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Goodell S, Schulte C, et al. Epidemiology and the economic assessment of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated population, Orange County, New York, 2009-2010. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2014;10(5):1373-81. DOI PubMed
- Kutty PK, McLean HQ, Lawler J, Schulte C, Hudson JM, Blog D, et al. Risk factors for transmission of mumps in a highly vaccinated population in Orange County, NY, 2009-2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33(2):121-5. DOI. PubMed
- Parker Fiebelkorn A, Lawler J, Curns AT, Brandeburg C, Wallace GS. Mumps postexposure prophylaxis with a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella Vaccine, Orange County, New York, USA. Emerg Infect Dis 2013;19(9):1411-7.
- Nelson GE, Aguon A, Valencia E, Oliva R, Guerrero ML, Reyes R, et al. Epidemiology of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated island population and use of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine for outbreak control—Guam 2009 to 2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32(4):374-80. DOI PubMed
- Rota JS, Rosen JB, Doll MK, McNall RJ, McGrew M, Williams N, et al. Comparison of the sensitivity of laboratory diagnostic methods from a well-characterized outbreak of mumps in New York City in 2009. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20(3):391-6. DOI PubMed
- Parker Fiebelkorn A, Rosen JB, Brown C, Zimmerman CM, Renshowitz H, D’Andrea C, et al. Environmental factors potentially associated with mumps transmission in yeshivas during a mumps outbreak among highly vaccinated students: Brooklyn, New York, 2009-2010. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013;9(1):189-94. DOI PubMed
- Ogbuanu IU, Kutty PK, Hudson JM, Blog D, Abedi GR, Goodell S, et al. Impact of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine on a mumps outbreak. Pediatrics. 2012;130(6):e1567-74. DOI PubMed
- Abedi GR, Mutuc JD, Lawler J, Leroy ZC, Hudson JM, Blog DS, et al. Adverse events following a third dose of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine in a mumps outbreak. Vaccine. 2012;30(49):7052-8. DOI PubMed
- Barskey AE, Schulte C, Rosen JB, Handschur EF, Rausch-Phung E, Doll MK, et al. Mumps outbreak in Orthodox Jewish communities in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(18):1704-13. DOI PubMed
- Mahamud A, Fiebelkorn AP, Nelson G, Aguon A, McKenna J, Villarruel G, et al. Economic impact of the 2009-2010 Guam mumps outbreak on the public health sector and affected families. Vaccine. 2012;30(45):6444-8. DOI PubMed
- CDC. Update: Mumps outbreak – New York and New Jersey, June 2009-January 2010. MMWR. 2010;59(05):125-9.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak – New York, New Jersey, Quebec, 2009. MMWR. 2009;57(58):1-4.
For more information about the 2006 outbreak, please see the following articles:
- Martin M, Quinlisk P, Shimabukuro T, Sawhney C, Brown C, LeBaron CW. Mumps vaccination coverage and vaccine effectiveness in a large outbreak among college students—Iowa, 2006. Vaccine. 2008; 26(29-30):3601-7.
- Cortese MM, Jordan HT, Curns AT, Quinlan PA, Ens KA, Denning PM, et al. Mumps vaccine performance among university students during a mumps outbreak. Clin Inf Dis.2008;46(8):1172-90.
- Dayan GH, Quinlisk PA, Parker AA, Barskey AE, Harris ML, Hill Schwartz, et al. Recent resurgence of mumps in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1580–9.
- CDC. Update: mumps activity — United States, January 1-October 7, 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(14):283-91.
- CDC. Update: multistate outbreak of mumps — United States, January 1 – May 2, 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(Dispatch): 1-5.
- CDC. Exposure to mumps during air travel — United States, April 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(14):401-2.
- CDC. Dispatch—mumps epidemic-Iowa, 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(13):366-8.
Information on other mumps outbreaks can be found in the following articles:
- Barskey AE, Glasser JW, LeBaron CW. Mumps resurgences in the United States: a historical perspective on unexpected elements. Vaccine. 2009;27(44):6186-95.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak at a summer camp—NY, 2005. MMWR. 2006;55(07):175-7.
- CDC. Mumps epidemic-United Kingdom, 2004-2005. MMWR. 2006;55(07):173-5.
Mumps alert for camps, summer 2010 [2 pages]
Note: This document is include for historical purposes and will not be reviewed or updated.
- Page last reviewed: November 20, 2017
- Page last updated: November 20, 2017
- Content source: