Resources for Mosquito Control Professionals
Guidance and Best Practices
- Alternatives to Dry Ice Used in Mosquito Traps for Surveillance [PDF – 1 page]
- AMCA. 2021. Best Practices for Integrated Mosquito Management. American Mosquito Control Association. Sacramento, CA
- AMCA. 2022. Mosquito Management During a Public Health Emergency. American Mosquito Control Association. Sacramento, CA
- CONUS Manual for Evaluating Insecticide Resistance in Mosquitoes Using the CDC Bottle Bioassay Kit [PDF – 19 pages]
- Manual for Mosquito Rearing by Eugene Gerberg, Donald Barnard and Ron Ward can be purchased from the American Mosquito Control Association’s online store
- Mosquito Trap and Surveillance Tools Guide [PDF – 2 pages]
- A Practical Guide to Building Local Mosquito Control Capacity – This guide, published by the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), can help educate, support, and encourage programs to be better prepared for future outbreaks of vector-borne disease.
- Surveillance and Control of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the United States [PDF – 21 pages]
- West Nile Virus in the United States: Guidelines for Surveillance, Prevention, and Control [PDF – 69 pages]
- For vector control districts, FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide version 4, effective June 1, 2020 [PDF – 277 pages], see page 126 and Appendix G: Mosquito Abatement (pp. 236-237)
Mosquito Genera Identification Key
West Nile Virus: Birds and Mosquitoes
- Carney RM, Husted S, Jean C, et al. Efficacy of aerial spraying of mosquito adulticide in reducing incidence of West Nile virus, California. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(5):747-54.
- Holcomb KM, Reiner RC, Barker CM. Spatio-temporal impacts of aerial adulticide applications on populations of West Nile virus vector mosquitoes. Parasit Vectors. 2021;14(1):120.
- Lothrop HD, Lothrop BB, Gomsi DE, Reisen WK. Intensive early season adulticide applications decrease arbovirus transmission through the Coachella Valley, Riverside County, California. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2008;8(4):475-489.
- Macedo PA, Schleier JJ, Reed M, et al. Evaluation of efficacy and human health risk of aerial ultra-low volume applications of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide for adult mosquito management in response to West Nile virus activity in Sacramento County, California. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2010;26(1):57-66.
- Nasci R, Mutebi JP. Reducing West Nile virus risk through vector management. J Med Ent. 2019;56(6):1516-1521.
- Reisen W, Brault AC. West Nile virus in North America: perspectives on epidemiology and intervention. Pest Manag Sci. 2007;63(7):641-646.
- Ruktanonchai DJ, Stonecipher S, Lindsey N, et al. Effect of aerial insecticide spraying on West Nile virus disease – North-Central Texas, 2012. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014;91(2):240-245.