Resources for Mosquito Control Professionals
Guidance and Best Practices
- Alternatives to Dry Ice Used in Mosquito Traps for Surveillance pdf icon[PDF – 1 page]
- American Mosquito Control Association: Best Practices for Integrated Mosquito Management (November 2021) pdf icon[PDF – 105 pages]external icon
- CONUS Manual for Evaluating Insecticide Resistance in Mosquitoes Using the CDC Bottle Bioassay Kit pdf icon[PDF – 19 pages]
- Manual for Mosquito Rearing by Eugene Gerberg, Donald Barnard and Ron Ward can be purchased from the American Mosquito Control Association’s online storeexternal icon
- A Practical Guide to Building Local Mosquito Control Capacityexternal icon – This guide, published by the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), can help educate, support, and encourage programs to be better prepared for future outbreaks of vector-borne disease.
- Surveillance and Control of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the United States pdf icon[PDF – 21 pages]
- West Nile Virus in the United States: Guidelines for Surveillance, Prevention, and Control pdf icon[PDF – 69 pages]
- For vector control districts, FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide version 4, effective June 1, 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 277 pages]external icon, see page 126 and Appendix G: Mosquito Abatement (pp. 236-237)
Mosquito Genera Identification Key
- Army Public Health Center Mosquito Genera Identification Key pdf icon[PDF – 23 pages]external icon (for the Continental United States and Alaska
- Mosquito surveillance software (includes virus surveillance in mosquitoes)
West Nile Virus: Birds and Mosquitoes
- List of all bird species in which West Nile virus has been detected pdf icon[PDF – 4 pages]
- List of all mosquito species in which West Nile virus has been detected pdf icon[PDF – 1 page]
- Carney RM, Husted S, Jean C, et al. Efficacy of aerial spraying of mosquito adulticide in reducing incidence of West Nile virus, Californiaexternal icon. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(5):747-54.
- Holcomb KM, Reiner RC, Barker CM. Spatio-temporal impacts of aerial adulticide applications on populations of West Nile virus vector mosquitoes. external iconParasit Vectors. 2021;14(1):120.
- Lothrop HD, Lothrop BB, Gomsi DE, Reisen WK. Intensive early season adulticide applications decrease arbovirus transmission through the Coachella Valley, Riverside County, California. external iconVector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2008;8(4):475-489.
- Macedo PA, Schleier JJ, Reed M, et al. Evaluation of efficacy and human health risk of aerial ultra-low volume applications of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide for adult mosquito management in response to West Nile virus activity in Sacramento County, Californiaexternal icon. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2010;26(1):57-66.
- Nasci R, Mutebi JP. Reducing West Nile virus risk through vector managementexternal icon. J Med Ent. 2019;56(6):1516-1521.
- Reisen W, Brault AC. West Nile virus in North America: perspectives on epidemiology and interventionexternal icon. Pest Manag Sci. 2007;63(7):641-646.
- Ruktanonchai DJ, Stonecipher S, Lindsey N, et al. Effect of aerial insecticide spraying on West Nile virus disease – North-Central Texas, 2012external icon. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014;91(2):240-245.
- American Mosquito Control Associationexternal icon
- Mosquito Control and Natural Disastersexternal icon, Journal of American Mosquito Control Association, June 2020, Volume 36, Issue 2s
- Entomological Society of Americaexternal icon
- Florida Mosquito Control 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 299 pages]external icon
- National Pest Management Associationexternal icon
- National Pesticide Information Center’s County Extension Office Directoryexternal icon or US Department of Agriculture Land-Grant University Website Directoryexternal icon
- PestWorld: Tips on finding a pest management professionalexternal icon
- Public Health Foundation: Vector Control Population Health Driver Diagram pdf icon[PDF – 1 page]external icon
- Environmental Protection Agency, Mosquito Controlexternal icon
- Walter Reed Systematic Catalog of Culicidaeexternal icon
Page last reviewed: November 9, 2021