On this page you can find information and links on mold-related issues.
Major JL, Boese GW. “Cross Section of Legislative Approaches to Reducing Indoor Dampness and Mold.” J Public Health Management & Practice 2017; 23 (4): 388–395.
Chew GL, Horner WE, Kennedy K, Grimes C, Barnes CS, Phipatanakul W, Larenas-Linnemann D, Miller JD, Environmental Allergens Workgroup. “Procedures to assist healthcare providers to determine when home assessments for potential mold exposure are warranted.” J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2016; 4:417-22. Abstract
Kawamoto M, Page E. “Notes from the Field: Use of Unvalidated Urine Mycotoxin Tests for the Clinical Diagnosis of Illness — United States, 2014.” MMWR 2015; 64(06): 157-158.
- Mold Prevention Strategies and Possible Health Effects in the Aftermath of Hurricanes and Major Floods. MMWR June 9, 2006; 55(RR08):1-27.
How to limit exposure to mold and identify and prevent mold-related health effects after major hurricanes and floods.
- Mold After a Disaster
FAQs and Emergency Preparedness and Response resources for flood-damaged homes.
- Health Concerns Associated with Mold in Water-Damaged Homes After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita — New Orleans Area, Louisiana, October 2005. MMWR January 20, 2006;55(02):41-44.
Report: Hurricanes Katrina and Rita caused extensive mold damage in buildings.
- Population-Specific Recommendations for Protection From Exposure to Mold in Buildings Flooded After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, by Specific Activity and Risk Factor [PDF – 156 KB]
Guidelines and chart showing how people particularly sensitive to mold can protect themselves.
Institute of Medicine’s Damp Indoor Spaces and Health
Examines the relationship between damp or moldy indoor environments and adverse health outcomes; ways to prevent and remediate dampness.
Safe handling of moldy materials
- Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute advice on safe handling of moldy textiles.
- Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute advice on safe removal of mold and other stains.
- Page last reviewed: July 13, 2009
- Page last updated: September 13, 2016
- Content source: