Health Department-Reported Cases of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) in the United States
Since mid-May 2020, CDC has been tracking case reports of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), a rare but serious condition associated with COVID-19. CDC is working to learn more about why some children and adolescents develop MIS-C after having COVID-19 or contact with someone with COVID-19, while others do not.
As of October 1, 2020, the number of patients meeting the case definition for MIS-C in the United States surpassed 1,000. In 2021, this number surpassed 2,000 as of February 1, 3,000 as of April 1, and 4,000 as of June 2.
Last updated with cases reported to CDC on or before June 2, 2021*:
Total MIS-C Patients MEETING CASE DEFINITION*
Total MIS-C Deaths MEETING CASE DEFINITION
*Additional patients are under investigation. After review of additional clinical data, patients may be excluded if there are alternative diagnoses that explained their illness.
- The median age of patients with MIS-C was 9 years. Half of children with MIS-C were between the ages of 5 and 13 years.
- 62% of the reported patients with race/ethnicity information available occurred in children who are Hispanic or Latino (1,208 cases) or Black, Non-Hispanic (1,128 cases).
- 99% of patients had a positive test result for SARS CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The remaining 1% of patients had contact with someone with COVID-19.
- 60% of reported patients were male.
MIS-C Cases by Jurisdiction
Since reporting began in 2020, 51 U.S. jurisdictions (including 48 states, New York City, Puerto Rico, and Washington, DC) have reported at least one MIS-C patients to CDC. Because of the small number of patients reported in some jurisdictions, this report includes case ranges instead of exact case counts from individual jurisdictions to protect the privacy of patients and their families.
Reported MIS-C Case Ranges by Jurisdiction, on or before June 2, 2021*
*CDC defers to jurisdictions to release additional information on patients.
Daily MIS-C Cases and COVID-19 Cases Reported to CDC (7-Day Moving Average)
Number of included MIS-C cases: 4013. The graph shows the 7-day moving average number of COVID-19 patients and MIS-C patients with date of onset between February 19, 2020 and May 18, 2021.
The grayed-out area on the right side of the figure represents the most recent 6 weeks of data, for which reporting of MIS-C patients is still incomplete. The actual number of MIS-C patients during this period is likely larger, and these numbers are expected to increase as additional case reports are incorporated. The scale for the Y-axis differs on the left and the right sides of the figure. The left Y-axis marks the number of daily 7-day average MIS-C patients in units of 5 with a scale of 0 to 35; the right Y-axis marks the number of daily 7-day average COVID-19 patients in units of 50,000 with a scale from 0 to 250,000.
Date of onset was missing for 5 of the 4,018 patients.
Characteristics of Reported MIS-C Patients
CDC is closely monitoring characteristics of MIS-C patients by race and ethnicity, sex, and age.
To date, the majority of MIS-C patients have been of Hispanic/Latino or Non-Hispanic Black race/ethnicity. Hispanic/Latino and Non-Hispanic Black populations are also disproportionately affected by COVID-19 overall. Additional studies of MIS-C are needed to learn why certain racial or ethnic groups may be disproportionately affected and to understand the risk factors for this disease.
*Values are less than 1%
Race/ethnicity data were not reported for 276 of the 4,018 cases. Column percents may add up to more than 100% due to children who fit within more than one race category.
Sex was not reported for 45 of 4,018 patients.
MIS-C Patients by Age Group
Age group was not reported for 53 of the 4,018 cases.
MIS-C can occur weeks after COVID-19 and even if the child or family did not know the child had COVID-19. CDC and state partners will be monitoring for additional cases and will adapt MIS-C recommendations as needed. Learn more about children and COVID-19 here.
CDC investigators are assessing reported cases of MIS-C and associated health outcomes to try to learn more about specific risk factors for MIS-C, progression of the illness in children and adolescents, and how to better identify MIS-C and distinguish it from similar illnesses.
About the data
This page is updated on the first Friday of each month.
Reported by Jurisdiction’s Health Department
Data on this page are reported voluntarily to CDC by each jurisdiction’s health department. CDC encourages all jurisdictions to report the most complete and accurate information that best represents the data available in their jurisdiction.
Timing of reporting
Case reporting may be delayed due to limited capacity at local/state health departments and as CDC assesses data to ensure cases meet the MIS-C case definition.