Spokesperson Portfolio - Eric Pevzner, PhD, MPH (CAPT, USPHS)
Branch Chief of the Epidemiology Workforce Branch | Chief of the EIS Program
Video: Training Future Generations of Public Health Responders and Leaders
CAPT Pevzner is Chief of the Epidemiology Workforce Branch in the Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development, and Chief of the EIS Program. He is also a Captain in the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service. In today’s world, the next pandemic may be literally only a plane ride away. The nation relies on a well-prepared public health workforce that can respond to such threats and stop them in their tracks. CAPT Pevzner serves at the helm of the CDC’s Epidemiology Workforce Branch, which is home to the Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS), Laboratory Leadership Service (LLS), Epidemiology Elective Program (EEP), and Science Ambassador Fellowship.
CAPT Pevzner began working with CDC in 1996. He contributed to the establishment of the Youth Tobacco Surveillance System (YTSS), which was developed in 1998 to provide national and state level data to support youth tobacco prevention and control activities. He also participated in CDC’s emergency responses to Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus in Mexico in 2009 and Ebola in West Africa in 2015. From 2005 to 2017, CAPT Pevzner worked with Ministries of Health, WHO, and other international partners to conduct research and provide technical assistance to implement and evaluate policies and interventions in Africa and Asia to improve the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of TB, HIV, and TB/HIV as part of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
CAPT Pevzner is a devoted advocate for workforce development and has focused on sharing his experience by supervising and mentoring EIS officers, fellows, interns, and graduate students.
CDC Public Affairs
- Youth tobacco prevention and control
- International TB and HIV control
- Behavioral epidemiology
- Chief of the Epidemiology Workforce Branch, Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development
- Chief of the EIS Program
- Team Lead, High Risk and Vulnerable Populations Team, Global TB Branch, Division of Global HIV and TB, Center for Global Health
- Acting Branch Chief, International Research and Programs Branch, Division of TB Elimination, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
- Team Lead, TB/HIV Team, International Research and Programs Branch, Division of TB Elimination, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
- Behavioral Epidemiologist, International Research and Programs Branch, Division of TB Elimination, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
- Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Officer, International Research and Programs Branch, Division of TB Elimination, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
- Behavioral Scientist, Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Presidential Management Fellow (PMF), Epidemiology Branch, Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) Internship, Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (PhD, Health Behavior; Minor, Epidemiology)
- Emory University (MPH, Behavioral Science)
- Michigan State University (BS, Psychology)
- Cowger T, Thai LH, Duong BD, Nhung NV, Nhan DT, Thoa CK, Khanh VT, Thinh T, Dung NH, Yen NTB, Ngoc DV, McConnell M, Whitehead S, Pevzner ES. Programmatic Implementation and Evaluation of an algorithm for Tuberculosis Intensified Case Finding and Isoniazid Preventive Therapy for People Living with HIV in Thailand and Vietnam. AIDS. (In Press)
- Click ES, Murithi W, Ouma G, McCarthy K, Wilby M, Musau S, Alexander H, Pevzner E, Posey J, Cain K. Detection of Apparent Cell-free M. tuberculosis DNA from Plasma. Nature Scientific Reports. (In Press)
- Danyuttapolchai J, Kittimunkong S, Nateniyom S, Painujit S, Klinbuayaem V, Maipanich N, Maokamnerd Y, Pevzner E, Whitehead S, Kanphukiew A, Monkongdee P, Martin M. Implementing an isoniazid preventive therapy program among people living with HIV in Thailand. PLoS One. 2017; 12(9): e0184986.
- Baker BJ, Peterson B, Mohanlall J, Singh S; Hicks C; Jacobs R; Ramos R; Allen B; Pevzner ES. Scale-up of Collaborative TB/HIV Activities in Guyana. Pan American Journal of Public Health. 2017 Apr 20;41:e6
- Pathmanathan I, Pevzner E, Cavanaugh J, Nelson L. Addressing tuberculosis in differentiated care provision for people living with HIV. WHO Bulletin. 2017 Jan; 95(1):3.
- Turinawe K, Vandebriel G, Lowrance D, Uwinkindi F, Mutwa P, Boer K, Mutembayire G, Tugizimana D, Nsanzimana S, Pevzner E, Howard A, Gasana M. Operating Characteristics of a Tuberculosis Screening Tool for People Living with HIV in Out-patient HIV Care and Treatment Services, Rwanda. PloS One. 2016 Sept; 11 (9)
- Auld SC, Moore BK, Kyle RP, Eng B, Nong K, Pevzner ES, Eam KK, Eang MT, Killam WP. Mixed impact of Xpert MTB/RIF on TB Diagnosis in Cambodia. Public Health Action. 2016 June; 6(2):129-135
- Pathmanathan I, Pevzner ES, Marston BJ, Hader SL, Dokubo EK. Leveraging Insights From the Ebola Response to Address HIV and TB. Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2016 Mar; 16(3):276-8
- Clark C, Langkjaer S, Chinikamwala S, Joseph H, Semaan S, Clement J, Marshall R, Pevzner E, Truman B, Kroeger K. Providers’ Perspectives on Program Collaboration and Service Integration for Persons Who Use Drugs. Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research. 2016 Mar; [Epub ahead of print]
- Jackson-Morris A, Fujiwara AM, Pevzner E. Clearing the smoke around the TB-HIV syndemic: smoking as a critical issue for TB and HIV treatment and care. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2015 Sept; 19(9): 1003-1006.
- Chapman KN, Pevzner ES, Breese P, Lamunu D, Mangan J, Shrestha-Kuwahara R, Nakibali JG, Goldberg S. Evaluation of the Informed Consent Process of a Multicenter Tuberculosis Treatment Trial. American Journal of Bioethics. 2015 Feb; 6(4):31-43.
- Auld SC, Moore BK, Killam WP, Eng B, Nong K, Pevzner ES, Eam KK, Eang MT, Warren D, Whitehead SJ. Rollout of Xpert® MTB/RIF in Northwest Cambodia for the diagnosis of tuberculosis among PLHA. Public Health Action. 2014 Dec; 4(4): 216-220.
- Lo TQ, Oeltmann JE, Odhiambo FO, Beynon C, Pevzner E, Cain KP, Laserson KF, Phillips-Howard PA.
Alcohol use, drunkenness and tobacco smoking in rural western Kenya. Trop Med Int Health. 2013 Apr;18(4):506-15.
- Auld SC, Pevzner ES. Reaching beyond our Xpert potential: reflections on the 43rd Union World Conference. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2013 Mar;17(3):423-4
- Click ES, Feleke B, Pevzner ES, Fantu R, Gadisa T, Assefa D, Melaku Z, Cain K, Menzies H. Evaluation of integrated registers for TB/HIV surveillance in children– Ethiopia, 2008-2009. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2012 May;16(5):625-7
- CDC. Integrated prevention services for HIV infection, viral hepatitis, sexually transmitted diseases, and tuberculosis for persons who use drugs illicitly: summary guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2012 Nov 9;61(RR-5):1-40.
- Pevzner ES, Vandebriel G, Lowrance DW, Gasana M, Finlay A. Evaluation of the Rapid Scale-up of Collaborative TB/HIV Activities in TB Facilities in Rwanda, 2005-2009. BMC Public Health. 2011 Jul 11;11(1):550.
- CDC. Smoking Restrictions in Large-Hub Airports — United States, 2002 and 2010. MMWR 2010; 59 (45); 1484-1487.
- Aburto NJ, Pevzner ES, Lopez-Ridaura R, Rojas R, Lopez-Gatell H, Hernandez M, Lazcano-Ponce E, Harrington TA. Awareness and Adoption of Community Mitigation Efforts in Three Cities During the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic – Mexico, 2009. Am J Prev Med 2010;39(5)395–402.
- Pevzner ES, Robison S, Donovan J, Allis D, Spitters C, Ijaz K, Oeltmann J. Responding to More Than a Decade of Tuberculosis Transmission Fueled by Methamphetamine and other Substance Abuse – Snohomish County, WA, 1991-2006. American Journal of Public Health. 2010 Dec;100(12):2481-6. Epub 2010 Feb 18.
- Ohkado A, Pevzner E, Sugiyama T, Murakami K, Yamada N, Cavanaugh S, Ishikawa N, Harries A. Evaluation of an international training course to build programmatic capacity for tuberculosis control. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2010;14:371-373
- Oeltmann JE, Kammerer JS, Pevzner ES, Moonan PK. Tuberculosis and substance abuse in the United States, 1997–2006. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2009;169:189-197.
- Carpenter WR, Beskow LM, Blocker DE, Forlenza MJ, Kim AE, Pevzner ES, Rose JM, Tran AN, Webber KH, Knight K, O’Malley MS. Towards a more comprehensive understanding of cancer burden in North Carolina: Priorities for intervention. North Carolina Medical Journal. 2008;69:279-282.
- Pevzner E, Pratt R, Robison V, Navin T, Hlvasa M. Trends in Tuberculosis – United States, 2006. MMWR 2007;56(11) 245-250
- Pevzner ES, Davis RM, Pan WKY, Husten CG, Pechacek T, Malarcher A. Survey of Airport Smoking Policies—United States. MMWR. 2004;53:No.50.
- Ribisl, K. M., Steckler, A., Linnan, L., Patterson, C., Pevzner, E., Markatos, E., et al. The North Carolina Youth Empowerment Study (NC YES): A participatory research study examining the impact of youth empowerment for tobacco use prevention. Health Education & Behavior. 2004;31:597-614.
- Steinberg MS, Delnevo CS, Foulds J, Pevzner ES. Characteristics of Smoking and Cessation Behaviors Among High School Students in New Jersey. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2004;35:231-233.
- Hrwyna M, Delnevo CD, Pevzner ES, Abatemarco DJ. Correlates of Bidi Use Among Youth. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2004;28(2):173-179.
- Delnevo CD, Pevzner ES, Hrywna M, Lewis MJ. Bidi cigarette use among young adults in 15 states. Preventive Medicine. 2004;39:207-211.
- Delnevo CS, Pevzner ES, Steingberg MB, Warren CW, Slade J. Cigar use in New Jersey among adolescents and adults. American Journal of Public Health. 2002;92:943-945.
- CDC. Youth Tobacco Surveillance – United States, 1999-2000. MMWR 2001;50:No. SS-4
- CDC. Youth Tobacco Surveillance – United States, 1998-1999. MMWR 2000; 49:No.SS-10
- CDC. Tobacco use among middle and high school students: United States, 1999. MMWR 2000;49:49-53.
- CDC. The Great American Smokeout. MMWR. 47(3): 921;1998