Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza - United States, 2017
Plan now to prepare for a flu pandemic.
On April 20, 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated pre-pandemic planning guidelines entitled Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza – United States, 2017. The updated guidelines replace the 2007 guidance, which laid the foundation for the use of nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) in mitigating pandemic influenza (flu). NPIs, also known as community mitigation strategies, are actions that people and communities can take, apart from getting vaccinated and taking medications, to help slow the spread of respiratory illnesses. NPIs are important because they are our first line of defense during a flu pandemic before a vaccine is available.
The updated guidelines:
- Encourage state and local public health officials to plan and prepare for implementing NPIs early in a pandemic in community settings.
- Summarize key lessons learned from the 2009 H1N1 pandemic response, describe new or updated pandemic planning and assessment tools, and provide the latest scientific findings on the use of NPIs.
- Include supplemental guides for six different community audiences that provide straightforward guidance about the use of NPIs and pandemic flu resources.
Public health officials, individuals, and communities should do their part by preparing now and understanding how to use NPIs before a flu pandemic occurs to help keep everyone healthy and safe. Visit www.cdc.gov/npi for more information about NPIs and the 2017 Community Mitigation Guidelines.
CDC Media Relations
Martin Cetron, MD
“The updated guidelines are a critically important CDC milestone to assist states and localities with pre-pandemic planning and decision-making.”
Martin Cetron, MD – Director, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine (DGMQ) Captain‚ U.S. Public Health Service
Amra Uzicanin, MD, MPH
Amra Uzicanin, MD, MPH Unit Lead, Community Interventions for Infection Control Unit (CI-ICU), DGMQ
Noreen Qualls, DrPH, MSPH
Noreen Qualls, DrPH, MSPH – Team Lead, Guidance Development and Communication Team, CI-ICU, DGMQ
CDC Related Links
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response
- Nonpharmaceutical Interventions (NPI’s)NPI planning guidance checklists
- NPI educational materials
- Novel Framework for Assessing Epidemiologic Effects of Influenza Epidemics and Pandemics
Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO)
- At-risk Populations and Pandemic Influenza: Planning Guidance for State, Territorial, Tribal, and Local Health Departments
- Public Health and Faith Community Partnerships: Model Practices to Increase Influenza Prevention Among Hard to Reach Populations
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE)
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
- National Public Health Information Coalition (NPHIC)
- Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE)
- Page last reviewed: April 20, 2017
- Page last updated: April 20, 2017
- Content source: